Contact Us Today 804.290.7990

How to make changes at the Virginia Department of Taxation

How to make changes at the Virginia Department of Taxation

Posted by Bernard Dietz | Jan 04, 2016 | 0 Comments

Has the name of your company changed? Or perhaps you have signed a lease for new office space and have a new address? Whatever the reason, often you will need to update the State of Virginia on changes to your business. Primarily, this means notifying the State Corporation Commission and the Virginia Department of Taxation. So how is this done?

To notify the Virginia Department of Taxation of changes to your company name, address, or other things, you can update your online account or file Form R-3 –

To notify the State Corporation Commission of changes to your address, the process depends on whether you are operating as a corporation or an LLC. For corporation, you can update your principal office address on your annual report form. Don't want to wait until it's time for your annual report? Request an annual report form directly from the State Corporation Commission and file it, regardless of timing.

If you're operating as an LLC, you can file a Statement of Change of Principal Office address through the SCC eFile system or request the form and file by mail.

About the Author

Bernard Dietz

Bernie Dietz is a Virginia lawyer and Virginia business attorney with more than 15 years of experience as both an attorney and a business executive, which gives him a unique view into the special needs of small to medium sized businesses. He has worked in business development, sales, and marketin...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment


Bernie Dietz is committed to answering your questions about business transactional law issues in Virginia.

I'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact me today to schedule an appointment.