Contact Us Today 804.290.7990

Virginia Biz Law Blog

Do I have to register my Virginia charity with the state?

Posted by Bernard Dietz | May 22, 2007 | 0 Comments

Yes!  If you operate a charity in Virginia, you must first register with the state before soliciting contributions.  The Virginia Code requires that before you start soliciting funds from Virginia residents you first register with the state and pay the required filing fee. 

If you're planning on soliciting charitable donations from more than one state, however, you can file a unified registration statement to save time.  To learn more about unified registration statement, you can visit this site.

About the Author

Bernard Dietz

Bernie Dietz is a Virginia lawyer and Virginia business attorney with more than 15 years of experience as both an attorney and a business executive, which gives him a unique view into the special needs of small to medium sized businesses. He has worked in business development, sales, and marketin...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment


Bernie Dietz is committed to answering your questions about business transactional law issues in Virginia.

I'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact me today to schedule an appointment.